Friday, September 17, 2010

Blasted Clocks

                                                  Life shouldn't be a series of check marks.

We are a very time-oriented society. Everything is based on numbers. I think it's a naughty little trap. We're a countdown people. We count down hours until 5 pm Monday through Friday. We count down Monday through Thursday for Friday. We count down months until vacation. We are always using the digits to keep track of some ultimate pleasure. I'm very guilty of this. Most of us are. I just finished my seventh week of my 16-week internship, and trust me, don't think I'll ever forget which week I'm on. I'm not really enjoying the experience, in a general sense. But therein lies the problem. It's my own fault. I have to find satisfaction in my life regardless of my circumstances, good or bad. President Thomas S. Monson called it "joy in the journey." We know the journey isn't always peaches and cream. In fact, it's usually not. So what? Take it as it is, deal with it, and find some purpose in your days. Do things that make you happy when inevitably, you have to do things that well--don't make you so happy. Or, even better, find happiness even in the things that don't seem to be happy-filled. Think and do simply. I think you'll (and I'm speaking to myself here) find more peace and happiness as you live simpler.

I'm trying to give myself a pep talk here, I think, but I hope maybe this will pep you as well.

Don't count your life away. Make each day special. Be happy. Love others. Sing a song loudly. Do a little jig. Or a big jig. Just jig, okay?

1 comment:

Jan said...

Great reminder - -I think we all live too much by the clock. I know I do.