Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spanish, Donkeys, and Sam


We're holding parent-teacher conferences this week. I knew ahead of time that I might be able to speak Spanish with one of my student's parents. Manuel*, his mom, and his three sisters ALL came into the classroom for the conference. I love me a big Mexican family. I asked the mom if she wanted me to speak in English or Spanish and she requested Spanish. I sure struggled through it, though. I turned to Manuel or his older sister for help many times, but they just stared at me. Gracias, kids. It turned out to be a Spanglish session and the mom is probably laughing about my broken Spanish right now, but it was a good experience. I really need to improve my espanol, though.

Did you know that more people are killed by donkeys than by airplane crashes? I heard that little factoid while slipping on my khakis this morning.

And I discovered some raw talent. His name is Sam Tsui. And here's just a sampling of what he can do. Check out more of his stuff on youtube.



*Manuel is an alias for the boy who made me look like an even bigger idiot in front of his mom.

No comments: