Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Constipated Brain


I am getting dumber. I'm convinced. Case in point: I had to remind myself how to convert mixed numbers into improper fractions so that I could teach it to my fifth graders today. How pathetic is that? But just in case you too need a refresher course, this is how it's done:

Take 2 2/3 for example. Take your denominator of three and multiply it by the whole number of two. You get six. Add the numerator. That's eight. Eight is your new numerator. Place it over the denominator of three and your improper fraction is 8/3. Ta da!

Of course, the 10 year olds think that I'm an expert at this stuff, but seriously, I think they know more than I do.

I took the ACT like eight years ago. Did pretty well. Got a 25. Put that four-hour beast in front of me today? I'd score so low, guaranteed.

I have two explanations for all of this:
1) I don't have to regurgitate information like I used to when I was a good little school-girl.
2) My brain is so crammed right now with a bajillion little things I have to do for my internship, that there's no room for common sense/prior knowledge.

Remedy for my smarts reversal? A VACATION! And maybe a fifth grade curriculum study guide.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I can't remember how to do the majority of that stuff. Don't ask me how to find percentages!! (except 10%) ;)