Tuesday, January 11, 2011

3

This post will be tri-fold.
1. Notes from the CES fireside on Sunday.
2. Funny subbing story.
3. 5K training request.

Let's begin....

1. CES fireside notes:

Topic: Living Well Day by Day
Speaker: D. Todd Christofferson
  • Thoughtful planning and preparation lead to a successful future.
  • But we don't live in the future. We live one day at a time.
  • It's an accumulation of these days that make a saintly person.
  • When we ask God for certain things, we must act and do the things that are in OUR power, too.
  • Sometimes we are forced to turn to God daily for days, months, years. This teaches us how to pray, get faith, and know Jesus Christ and God.
  • This "daily bread" is a precious commodity. The "manna" of today is as blessed as the manna in biblical times.
  • Don't give into the moment; finish the task.
  • Take one day (or moment) at a time. Don't look ahead at pain. Just get through the day. Worrying about the future can debilitate us and make us quit.
  • Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (Matthew 6:34)
  • The Lord is pleased with every effort, even the daily ones in which strive to be more like Him.
  • Little kind acts do more in a relationship than a grand, expensive gift.
  • Thank God for the manna that sustained you throughout the day.
  • Manna (bread of life) is a symbol of the Redeemer.

2. Funny subbing story:
Yesterday I subbed a fifth grade class. The kids are leveled into different math groups and switch for the subject. One of my students was about to leave for his math group when he said this: "[In my math class] we're building boats! I'll be good at it because I'm Chinese." Way to racial profile yourself there, kiddo.

3. 5K training request:
I'm gonna run a 5K in April. If you have running expertise, especially for a smaller race like a 5K, please send a training regimen/tips my way! Obviously I know that I'll need to get to the point in which I can run the 3.1 miles without stopping, but I'd like to know the best way to appropriately reach that goal. I'm a moderate runner right now, if that makes a difference; I'm not a beginner, but I'm not a marathoner either.

2 comments:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Love that you posted CES fireside notes :)

Lisa S said...

I clicked on your blog from another blog. I was a substitute for many years. I enjoyed it. The key to making every job a good one is management...even with the circus classes. Never let them see you sweat. As far s they are concerned you have been teaching for years and yes you are a real teacher.
Running a 5K....well can you run the course? Do you know the route? Do you already use intervals? Just keep running, increase your time and distance. Your goal is to beat your last time. Good luck